Monday, November 23, 2015


Effective from 1 November 2015, motorists will need to provide their proof of residence when renewing their vehicle licences. The Department of Transport's John Motsatsing said motorist can either bring along a utility bill or an affidavit with the correspondence from the home owner at their place of residence.

This is similar to RICA in telecoms or FICA in banking, and will be used to update the Electronic National Administration Traffic Information System (eNaTIS) database. Motorists will have from November 2015 until November 2016 to provide the traffic department with updated proof of identity and address particulars.

Vehicle owners whose address particulars have not been verified by 31 October 2015 will not be issued with a new licence until their residential address has been verified.

Justice Project South Africa (JPSA) warned that the regulations allow authorities to refuse the issue of a licence disc if you have not provided proof of your physical and postal address.

This means that motorists and companies will have to provide the following information to register vehicles, and renew licence discs and driving licences:

  • Full names, date of birth, identity number, and business registration number, along with any form of acceptable identification.

  • Proof of postal and residential address, by means of any utility account. As with RICA and FICA, if your name isn’t on the account you need an affidavit from the person in whose name the account is stating you live at that address.

  • If you live in an informal settlement, you need a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address.

The new regulations stated people would be able to comply with the new requirement through the Department of Transport’s website. However, the JPSA said it has not been able to find any facility provided on that website, the eNaTIS website, or any traffic-related government website.

“This will undoubtedly contribute to longer queues at licensing authorities than are strictly necessary,” said the JPSA.

“It is also not unreasonable to assume that many licensing authorities will take this as an additional opportunity to tell people that they have to pay all of their outstanding traffic fines in order to get their licence disc, even though this is not true.”

The JPSA advised motorists to go to the licensing authority armed with all of the required address verification documentation to enable them to comply with the new regulations.

Source: mybroadband


All Posts

iX Online Motoring